Oban U18s 14-22 Stewartry

Mitsubishi Motors West U18 Conference
Oban Lorne U18s 14-22 Stewartry U18s
Oban Lorne’s U18 side welcomed Stewartry RFC to North Connel on Saturday in what was Oban’s fourth fixture of the 2017/18 season.
The Oban team have improved with every game this season and recorded an impressive 12-12 draw at Newton Stewart last weekend.
Despite a number of unavailable players due to the school holidays Oban still fielded a strong team with the game being played at 13 aside to match Stewartrys’ numbers in keeping with the spirit of the game.
Oban made a rusty start to the game and found themselves 5-0 down after 5 minutes of play. The hosts failed to gather the kick off and found themselves under increasing pressure near there line where the visitors eventually ran over for the first try of the game.
From the restart Oban enjoyed their first possession of the day and were looking very dangerous in attack with good runs from Lorne Sinclair, Ewan Shearer and Angus Harris MacLeod. After a period of pressure on the line Centre David Cameron crashed over for a well worked try with Andrew Ritchie’s conversion giving a 7-5 lead.
Oban were on top at this stage in the game and extended their lead with Stand Off Ben MacFarlane Barrow touching down for Oban’s second try. Another Ritchie conversion gave a 14-5 lead.
Both sides played out a physical end of the first half as Stewartry responded with a try narrowing the score to 14-10.
Oban struggled to keep hold of the ball in the second half and were forced to defend time after time as Stewartry held most of the ball and territory in the game. The Oban team were heroic at times in defence with countless tackles keeping the away side at bay.
Lorne Sinclair was forced off the pitch with 20 minutes remaining with a head knock meaning Oban lost one of their most prominent ball carriers for the closing stages of the game.
A couple of try saving tackles were made by fullback Andrew Ritchie and Winger Sean Gordon as Stewartry pressed for another score.
Stewartrys dominance with possession eventually took hold as they scored two further tries to lead 22-14. Oban did push hard late on with a Brych Hensman Martin try being disallowed as the winger was bundled into touch just before touching the ball down.
Despite a 22-14 defeat Oban had played well for the most part, particularly in defence and were led well by captain Kieron Morrison.
Many thanks must go to Stewartry for travelling a long distance for the game and to match referee Grant Mulraney from Paisley for officiating the game in a good manner.
Oban U18s have a week’s rest from league duty before they take on Bishopton away from home on the 21st of October .

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *